April 30, 2012

Trying Real Hard, Ringo...

WTF?

I lost a long term athlete today. That doesn't happen much and it stings a bit....I wasn't providing the level they expected, so after three plus years they are making a change. I can look at it a few ways...

1. Hurt - How could they? I'm a Level 1 coach, I write prescient articles on training, have lots of credentials and experience - I MUST be a great coach..how could they leave me? Where is the appreciation? Where is the thanks for the hours and hours of phone conversations or the support during their trying times? And of course they chose to leave while at a personal best in both body mass and fitness....why not go get a new coach and let them enjoy the benefits of my planning and commitment?
2. Relived - Whew, I don't have to endure any more of the grind. I don't have to stress over so much untapped potential, hear the excuses for why things didn't go as planned in ABC workout, or commiserate the never-ending struggle. It's one less thing on my already over-stacked plate, which is probably the main reason in the end...stretched to thin, if I'm...
3. Honest - I let them down. I'm hired to provide feedback and direction and I didn't do that very well over the last couple of months so it's completely understandable and mostly on me. Damn...
4. Hopeful - If I felt stale, certainly they did too...my hope is that they find a place where progress continues to rise and they can get what they are looking for. It's too hard a sport to carry a grudge against an athlete and friend. All the best!

Really it's all four...but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard...

No comments:

Post a Comment